A baby’s first healthy birthday cake, easy to make with all natural ingredients. A delicious, healthy smash cake.
I truly can’t believe that a year has already passed since our sweet baby girl was born. It seems like just yesterday I was on the way to the hospital filled with excitement and anticipation. Jasmine has the happiest, sunniest personality of any child I have ever met. She is so very content, always smiling and giggling, which in turn keeps us smiling a lot. babies first healthy cake Healthy
It’s almost Jasmine’s 2nd birthday (Sep. 27th), I thought I would practice my baby’s first healthy birthday cake and make some changes while I am on it. The old recipe version is basically for kids with egg allergies, so I left them out, which made the cake a little dense.
Recipe // Baby’s First Healthy Cake
Baby’s First Healthy Cake – Step by step instructions:
We have experienced some issues with the recipe plugin, therefor I made you a printable recipe card, click here to download and print.
- 4 or 5 ripe bananas
- ¾ cup organic cinnamon apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- For The Frosting
- 1 cups (8 ounces) cream cheese (if you need to make more frosting, double the ingredients)
- ¼ cup (2 ounces) organic cinnamon apple sauce
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (
- Mash the bananas in a medium bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg together.
- Add the mashed bananas, applesauce, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Mix just until incorporated. Beat two egg whites until you receive a cone when pulling out the whisk, fold in carefully the beaten egg whites.
- Spray your 8 or 9″round (6" pans are perfect for this) pans with non-stick cooking spray or coat with butter and flour.
- Spread the batter into the bottom of both pans.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Cool the cakes, then use an overturned 16oz glade storage round to cut out 4 small cake rounds.
- Prepare the frosting, add in between each layer 2 tbsp. of your cream cheese mixture. When all layers are stacked on top of each other, cover the cake with the remaining frosting and decorate as desired.
- For The Frosting
- Soften the cream cheese.
- Whisk the cream cheese with the apple sauce and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Decorate as desired!
Where to buy organic ingredients for this cake:
- Santa Cruz Organic Apple Cinnamon Sauce, 6-Pack, 4-Ounce Cups (Pack of 4)
- Bob’s Red Mill Baking Soda, 16 oz
- Better Body Foods Organic Vanilla Extract — 8 fl oz
- Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, 48 oz
- Simply Organic Cinnamon Ground Certified Organic, 2.45-Ounce Container
- Simply Organic Nutmeg Ground CERTIFIED ORGANIC 2.3oz. bottle
- Organic Valley Organic Pasteurized Cream Cheese Bar, 8 Ounce — 12 per case.
- Wilton Excelle Elite 6 x 2-3/4 Inch Springform Pan
Hope you enjoy the cake, please share yours with us! We are on Instagram as @oheverythinghandmade and all our Babies First Healthy Cakes for this recipe are hashtagged with #ohbabyhealthycake on Instagram and facebook.